Greenhand Leadership Conference
MUSD Holds Greenhand Leadership Conference
On Friday January 27th, over 60 students from East Union, Lathrop, Manteca, Sierra and Weston Ranch high schools gathered at the MUSD district office to hold the 1st annual Greenhand Leadership Conference held at Manteca Unified School District.
"It’s a conference held for students new to FFA. At the conference they learn about what the FFA program, the classes that can be taken in the ag department, the careers that are involving Ag. It’s also a team building event where kids from all over the district get to know each other," wrote Clara Schmiedt, Senior Director of Secondary Education.
Normally held in the fall of each year, between August and October, this year MUSD decided to hold it again for their interested students.
"It’s held in the fall for the San Joaquin chapter, however Chris Livengood asked if we could have a Greenhand conference for term two students. Our FFA leadership student put on the event. Students also got to see the district school farm, an opportunity they had not had before," explained Schmiedt.
According to calaged.org, a site dedicated to FFA and Agricultural Education, the GLC is all about:
- Define Agricultural Education, it's three ring model (Classroom & Laboratory, Supervised Agricultural Experience [SAE] and the National FFA Organization) and the three "Rs" model (Rigorous Instruction, Relevant Experiences and Relationships)
- Explore the Six Benefits of Agricultural Education through hands on team challenges: Learning, Experience, Leadership, Competition, Travel and Personal Growth.
- Discover the Six Opportunities in Agricultural Education, which provide the Six Benefits: Hands-On Instruction, Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE), Officers and Committees, Career Development Events (CDE), Conventions and Conferences.
- Learn more about California FFA's leadership and personal growth conferences: GLC, MFE, ALA, SLE and WLC.
- Develop a personal plan of action utilizing SMART goals that address the following areas: Lead (FFA), Learn (Classroom), Earn (SAE), and Live (Life).