History of Manteca Unified School District
Manteca Unified School District
Manteca Unified currently serves more than 23,000 students. The District serves three cities: Stockton, Lathrop, Manteca, as well as the town of French Camp. The District is approximately 113 square miles and is located in the Southern part of San Joaquin County. Manteca Unified was formed in 1966. There were two high schools at the time, East Union and Manteca High. Unification included 12 elementary schools: Calla, French Camp, Golden West, Lathrop, Lincoln, Lindbergh, Mossdale, New Haven, Nile Garden, Sequoia, Shasta, and Yosemite. The unification saw the end of several smaller districts including: Calla, French Camp, Lathrop, Mossdale, New Haven, and Nile Garden.
Changing with the times!
Through the years there have been several public schools which either no longer exist, or no longer house schools. A few of our current school sites, however, have seen dramatic change to their schools but continue to serve students on their original school grounds. The oldest school campus in our District is French Camp School. Having continually served students on the same property for more than 150 years, French Camp has seen at least three school buildings over the years. The original Manteca High School (see top picture) which was dedicated on January 27, 1923, was a beautiful California-Mission style school. The school served students for more than 45 years when fire and the Field Act standards saw the demise of the original structure. Yosemite School was the second elementary school built in the Manteca area in 1914. The original Yosemite School (see middle photo), often simply called Manteca School, was also destroyed by fire in 1948. The current Yosemite school which now serves as the Manteca Community Day School was opened in 1950.
Moving With The Times